Articles and Resources
- Diabetes and Nutrition Support Services Newsletter and Recipes »
- Carbohydrate Factors; A Precise for Method for Meal Planning » an incisive article by a leader in nutrition therapy, Dana Armstrong, RD, CDE®*. Dana describes an easy and accurate method for determining carbohydrate content of food beyond label reading.
- Diabetes and Diet » Food can be powerful in preventing and reversing diabetes. However, dietary approaches have changed as we have learned more about the disease. Published by the Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine.
- Low Fat Vegan Diet Improves Glycemia and CV Risk in Type 2 Diabetes » Diabetes Care 2006
- Plant Based Cooking Demo – Recipes »
- Nutritional Update for Physicians: Plant-Based Diets » Philip J Tuso, MD; Mohamed h Ismail, MD; Benjamin P ha, MD; Carole Bartolotto, Ma, RD Perm J 2013 Spring;17(2):61-66
- Preparing to Prescribe Plant-Based Diets for Diabetes Prevention and Treatment » Treatment of Type 2 Diabetes Plant-based eating patterns combined with exercise have been found to improve diabetes control and reduce the need for medication in intervention trials as far back as 1976.
- Vegetarian Starter Kit » an easy to read and colorful handout for patients interested in learning more about a vegetarian diet. Published by the Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine.
- Vegan Cooking – Lose the Eggs, Milk and Butter>> This article outlines vegan cooking using flax seed, tofu, soy yogurt, Ener-g egg replacer and bananas.
- Food for Life, a community based nutrition education and cooking class program »
- Dr. John McDougall based in Santa Rosa, California » (has a great newsletter)
- Vegetarian Starter Kit (English and Spanish) » whys and how’s of a healthier diet, the New Four Food Groups guidelines, practical tips for beginning a vegetarian diet, and delicious low-fat, no-cholesterol recipes. Diet and Diabetes: Recipes for Success (English, Spanish, Indian):
- English (English language and food)
- Spanish (Spanish language and food)
- Indian (English language, East-Indian food)
- Nutrition MD – Recipes, resources and nutrition tips »
- Plant Based Plate Method » Physicians for Responsible Medicine version of the USDA “Plate Method” which includes low fat, plant-based foods.
Take Education Courses
Menus and Recipes
Menu Planning –
*Certified Diabetes Educator® and CDE® are registered marks owned by NCBDE. The use of DES products do not guarantee successful passage of the CDE® exam. NCBDE does not endorse any preparatory or review materials for the CDE® exam, except for those published by NCBDE.”