Diabetes and Disaster Preparedness
With an increasing amount of natural and man-made disasters, it is important to help ourselves and our communities to be prepared. In case of sudden evacuations, having the necessary medical and self-care items packed and ready to go is imperative.
Here are a few helpful resources for ourselves and our community:
Resources for People with Diabetes
- Have an Emergency Diabetes Kit Ready:
- People with Diabetes can download the Diabetes Disaster Response Coalition’s (DDRC) Diabetes Preparedness Plan.There you can find a checklist of needed supplies and guidelines for people living with diabetes to help you be prepared in times of an emergency and natural disasters.
- Stay Updated: Visit JDRF Disaster Relief Resources and Diabetes Disaster Response Coalitions Facebook page with information on how to access medical support, shelters, and open pharmacies during time of disaster.
- Know where to get help: Call 1-800-DIABETES (800-342-2383). The American Diabetes Association Center For Information is open, MON.-FRI. 9 a.m. TO 7 p.m. ET. Representatives are regularly updated with information on how to access medical support, shelters, pharmacies and more.
- American Red Cross Shelters: Contact the American Red Cross directly at 1-800-RED-CROSS.
Resource For Health Care Providers:
- Insulin Supply Hotline: During a disaster, call the emergency diabetes supply hotline 314-INSULIN (314-467-8546) if you know of diabetes supply shortages in your community (i.e. shelter, community center). Hotline is for health care providers only.
- Diabetes Disaster Response Coalition (DRRC). If disaster hits, people with diabetes may need emergency supplies and help fast.Please visit the DRRC website if you are a diabetes health care provider and are requesting information about diabetes supplies during disasters.
- Download the Diabetes Disaster Response Coalition’s (DDRC) Diabetes Preparedness Plan to share with people living with diabetes.
- JDRF (Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation) has created a wonderful list of Disaster Relief Resources.
Looking for other ways to contribute? Camp Fire Donations Needed | How you can help
Thank you again for all your kindness and concern!