As educators, advocates, spouses, friends, and providers, our use of language can deeply affect the self-view of people living with diabetes every day.
Intentional communication is a powerful tool that can uncover trauma, identify barriers, and move both the provider and person with diabetes toward a greater understanding of the issues involved.
The language used in the health care setting is immensely important in determining trust, mutual respect, and meaningful long-term relationships.
- Learn phrases, words, and approaches that can be left behind.
- Describe diabetes language that is respectful, inclusive, person-centered, and imparts hope.
- Discuss how to evaluate for ACE and provide trauma-informed care
- Practice communicating about diabetes using phrases free from judgment with a focus on a strength-based approach.
Intended Audience: A critical course for anyone in the field of diabetes education!
Instructor: Beverly Thomassian RN, MPH, CDCES, BC-ADM is a working diabetes specialist and a nationally recognized diabetes expert.
Earn 0.5 CEs
Fee: $19.00 – Click here to enroll in the course.
Enroll in our entire Level 4 | Advanced & Specialty Topic Courses to join us for the below 2023 Live Webinar Updates. All courses air at 11:30 a.m. (PST)
Clinical Practice & Assessment
- July 27, 2023 – Class 1: Type 2 Diabetes Intensive | 2 CEs
- August 8, 2023 – Class 2: Cancer & Diabetes | 1.25 CEs
- August 10, 2023 – Class 3: 3 Steps to Save Feet; Assess, Screen, & Report | 1.0 CEs
Insulin Calculations & Pattern Management
- August 22, 2023 – Class 4: Insulin Calculation Workshop | From Pumps & Beyond | 1.5 CEs
- August 29, 2023 – Class 5: Solving Glucose Mysteries for Type 1 | 1.5 CEs
- August 31, 2023 – Class 6: Solving Glucose Mysteries for Type 2 | 1.5 CEs
- October 24, 2023 – Class 7: Basal Bolus Therapy in Hospital |1.5 CEs
Beyond the Usual Diabetes Topics
- November 16, 2023 – Class 8: Getting to the Gut (& Skin) | 1.0 CEs
- Class 9: The Impact of Adverse Childhood Experiences on Health | 1.0 CE
- July 12, 2023 – Class 10: Diabetes and Language | What we say matters | 0.5 CEs
- Class 11: Mindfulness & Compassion in the Diabetes Encounter Webinar | 1.0 CE
All hours earned count toward your CDCES Accreditation Information