This course integrates the American Diabetes Association’s (ADA) Standard of Care on elements of a comprehensive medical assessment (Standard 4) of the individual living with prediabetes, diabetes, or hyperglycemia. Through case studies & real-life situations, we discover often hidden causes of hyperglycemia & other complications, such as liver disease, sleep apnea, pancreatitis, autoimmune diseases, fractures, & more. We delve into therapy for complicated situations & discuss management strategies for other conditions associated with hyperglycemia such as Cystic Fibrosis, & Transplants.
- Identify common yet often underdiagnosed complications associated with type 1 & type 2 diabetes.
- State strategies to identify previously undiscovered diabetes complications during assessments.
- Discuss links between hyperglycemia & other conditions including transplant, cystic fibrosis, & liver disease.
Intended Audience: These courses are knowledge-based activities designed for individuals or groups of diabetes educators, including RNs, RDs, Pharmacists, Nurse Practitioners, Clinical Nurse Specialists, Physician Assistants, and other health care providers interested in enhancing their diabetes assessment skills.
Instructor: Beverly Thomassian RN, MPH, CDCES, has been Board Certified in Advanced Diabetes Management for over 15 years. She is an Associate Clinical Professor at UCSF, a working educator, and a nationally recognized diabetes expert.
Earn 1.5 CEs
Fee: $29.00 – Click here to enroll in the course.
Enroll in our entire Level 2 – Standards of Care to join us for the below 2023 Live Webinar Updates. All courses air at 11:30 a.m. (PST)
- December 1, 2022 – Class 1: Meds Management Update for Type 2 | New ADA/EASD Consensus Statement | 1.5 CEs
- December 8, 2022 – Class 2: Hyperglycemic Crises, DKA & HHS Standards | 1.0 CE
- December 20, 2022 – Class 3: How to Assess Well-Being | From Populations to Individuals | 1.5 CEs
- February 2, 2023 – Class 4: ADA Standards of Care | 2.0 CEs
- March 28, 2023 – Class 5: Critical Assessment in Diabetes Care | Fine-Tuning Diabetes Detective Skills | 2.0 CEs
- April 11, 2023 – Class 6: Microvascular Complications Prevention & Treatment | Eye, Kidney, Nerve Disease | 1.5
- May 4, 2023 – Class 7: Cardiovascular Disease & Diabetes | 1.5 CEs
- May 9, 2023 – Class 8: Lower Extremity Assessment | 1.5 CEs
- May 11, 2023 – Class 9: Older Adults & Diabetes | 1.5 CEs
- May 18, 2023 – Class 10: From Tots to Teens | Diabetes Standards | 1.5 CEs
- May 25, 2023 – Class 11: Pregnancy & Diabetes | 1.5 CEs
- May 30, 2023 – Class 12: Hospitals & Hyperglycemia | 1.5 CEs
- June 1, 2023 – Class 13: Setting up a Successful DSME Program | 1.5 CEs
All hours earned count toward your CDCES Accreditation Information