This course highlights the array of oral and injectable medications to treat hyperglycemia for people with type 2 diabetes. We explore clinical issues to consider when determining the best strategy to improve glucose control. We discuss cost, side effects, complexity, and other factors into consideration. We also discuss how to integrate the ADA and AACE algorithms into practice.
- Describe the main action of the different categories of type 2 diabetes medication
- List the side effects and clinical considerations of each category of medication
- Apply the ADA and AACE algorithm to determine the best medication match based on individual characteristics
Intended Audience: This library of critical information is designed for individuals or groups of diabetes specialists, including RNs, RDs, Pharmacists, Nurse Practitioners, Clinical Nurse Specialists, Physician Assistants, and other health care providers interested in staying up to date on current practices of care for people with diabetes and preparing for the BC-ADM or the CDCES certification Exam.
Instructor: Beverly Thomassian RN, MPH, CDCES, BC-ADM is a working educator and a nationally recognized diabetes expert.
This course is part of our Level 3 – Boot Camp. Enroll in our entire Level 3 – Boot Camp to join us for the following 2022 Live Webinar Updates. All courses air at 11:30 a.m. (PST)*
- February 8, 2022 – Class 1 – Diabetes – Not Just Hyperglycemia 1.75 CEs
- February 10, 2022 – Class 2 – Standards of Care & Cardiovascular Goals 1.5 CEs
- February 15, 2022 – Class 3 – Insulin Therapy – From Basal/Bolus to Pattern Management 1.5 CEs
- February 17, 2022 – Class 4 – Insulin Intensive – Monitoring, Sick Days, Lower Extremities 1.5 CEs
- February 22, 2022 – Class 5 – Meds for Type 2 – What you need to know 1.5 CEs
- February 24, 2022 – Class 6 – (Exercise and) Medical Nutrition Therapy 1.5 CEs
- March 1, 2022 – Class 7 – Microvascular Complications and Exercise – Focus on Prevention 1.5 CEs
- March 3, 2022 – Class 8 – Coping and Behavior Change 1.5 CEs
- March 8, 2022 – Class 9 – Test-Taking Coach Session (48 Questions) No CEs
*dates subject to change
All hours earned count toward your CDCES Accreditation Information