This course provides a detailed overview of the pathophysiology of type 2 diabetes, prevention strategies, & cardiovascular risk reduction. In addition, we highlight type 2 treatment approaches including nutrition, activity, oral & injectable medications plus screening & treatment guidelines for micro & macrovascular diseases. Through case studies & discussion, we highlight strategies to focus on a person-centered approach along with attention to psychosocial care for people living with diabetes.
- Discuss the current epidemiology of type 2 diabetes.
- Describe the classification, terminology & diagnostic criteria for diabetes.
- Identify the eight pathophysiologic defects associated with the ominous octet.
- Describe evidence and strategies to prevent type 2 diabetes.
- State strategies to implement a person-centered approach to those with diabetes.
- Discuss key aspects of type 2 diabetes management including education, therapeutic lifestyle changes, glucose, lipid, & hypertension management plus referrals.
- Understand the overarching principles of management of type 2 DM including.
Intended Audience: These courses are knowledge-based activities designed for individuals or groups of diabetes educators, including RNs, RDs, Pharmacists, Nurse Practitioners, Clinical Nurse Specialists, Physician Assistants, & other health care providers interested in enhancing their knowledge of management of inpatient hyperglycemia.
Instructor: Beverly Thomassian RN, MPH, CDCES, BC-ADM is a working diabetes specialist and a nationally recognized diabetes expert.
Earn 1.5 CEs
Fee: $29.00 – Click here to enroll in the course.
Enroll in our entire Level 4 | Advanced & Specialty Topic Courses to join us for the below 2023 Live Webinar Updates. All courses air at 11:30 a.m. (PST)
Clinical Practice & Assessment
- July 27, 2023 – Class 1: Type 2 Diabetes Intensive | 2 CEs
- August 8, 2023 – Class 2: Cancer & Diabetes | 1.25 CEs
- August 10, 2023 – Class 3: 3 Steps to Save Feet; Assess, Screen, & Report | 1.0 CEs
Insulin Calculations & Pattern Management
- August 22, 2023 – Class 4: Insulin Calculation Workshop | From Pumps & Beyond | 1.5 CEs
- August 29, 2023 – Class 5: Solving Glucose Mysteries for Type 1 | 1.5 CEs
- August 31, 2023 – Class 6: Solving Glucose Mysteries for Type 2 | 1.5 CEs
- October 24, 2023 – Class 7: Basal Bolus Therapy in Hospital |1.5 CEs
Beyond the Usual Diabetes Topics
- November 16, 2023 – Class 8: Getting to the Gut (& Skin) | 1.0 CEs
- Class 9: The Impact of Adverse Childhood Experiences on Health | 1.0 CE
- July 12, 2023 – Class 10: Diabetes and Language | What we say matters | 0.5 CEs
- Class 11: Mindfulness & Compassion in the Diabetes Encounter Webinar | 1.0 CE
All hours earned count toward your CDCES Accreditation Information