Diabetes Education Recommendations:
We recommend the following free resources, articles, study tools, online courses and websites. We invite you to our online Diabetes Fundamentals to Advanced Course Series. This series of webcasts provides learners with the essential “nuts and bolts” of diabetes education and care. Quick Links:
- According to the National Certification Board for Diabetes Education » (NCBDE) you need to have your professional license for at least 2 years as a RN, RD, PT, PharmD, PA, MD (and others) plus accumulate 1000 hours of diabetes self-management education experience to take the CDE®* exam.
- CDE® Exam 2015 Application and Handbook » Published by the National Certification Board of Diabetes Educators. This document provides the complete and official listing of all of the requirements to become a CDE®. Intstructions on how to apply, study resources and the application are also included. Download Handbook Here »
- Sign up for our Free Webinar: Preparing to take the CDE® Exam » This webinar reviews CDE® exam eligibility requirements, the exam format and study strategies. Beverly also provide test taking tips, sample test questions and the reasoning behind choosing the right answers. This webinar is highly recommended for anyone considering taking the CDE® Exam. This course does not qualify for CE Credit, but it does provide lots of great info. It’s easy and free!
- The Scope of Practice, Standards of Practice, and Standards of Professional Performance for Diabetes Educators (2011). Chicago, Il: American Association of Diabetes Educators » a must read for anyone entering the field of diabetes or as a reference for those already in the field.
- ADA-Standards of Care PDF » This yearly publication by the American Diabetes Association outlines the goals of care for diabetes management. Since it is evidenced based, it includes a useful summary of the trials and research that the goals are based on. A must read if you are entering the diabetes field or preparing to take the CDE® or attending our Becoming a Diabetes Educator Course.
- Chapter on Diabetes Mellitus and Metabolic Syndrome
by Beverly Thomassian, excerpted from Cardiac Nursing, 6th Edition, by Woods, Motzer, Froelicher and Bridges, 2009. » Overall, this chapter provides a comprehensive review of diabetes pathophysiology, heart disease, prevention and treatment strategies from a global perspective.
We invite you to visit our comprehensive library of articles and resources.
Free Webinars and Online Courses
We offer free live webinars and on-demand on-line courses designed just for you. Click on the links below for more information and to get started.
Complete Listing of related websites
*Certified Diabetes Educator®* and CDE® are registered marks owned by NCBDE. The use of DES products do not guarantee successful passage of the CDE® exam. NCBDE does not endorse any preparatory or review materials for the CDE® exam, except for those published by NCBDE.”